★走马灯★

Monday 30 November 2009

Time for Story-Sharing

Hello, fellow readers!! The month of November is almost end! So before it ends, I have a story to share with you. I read this story long time ago, and it is still fresh in my mind. There is nothing consider about the end of the month though, but the reason I post it up is simply it impressed me. Hope you enjoy it!!


(^__________^)



I will never forget the first time I saw her. She was there playing with the other children. She turned when she saw me entering the room, the previous look of pure radiance replaced by one of cold hardness. I was taken aback. It was only later, during my break that I had the chance to speak to the matron about her. Her name was Marie and had suffered from cancer since she was eight. Her parents had left her in the care of various hospitals, hoping for a cure but after all these years, there did not seem to be any more hope. Upon hearing that, I felt I wanted to get to know her better and be her friend.


As I got to know her over the many months ahead, I discovered that she was basically like any other child, warm and caring and all the children in the ward enjoyed spending time with her for she had the ability to bring out the best in a person. But it was her courage that I admired most in her. She knew she had only a short time left to live. Despite the outward appearance of strength, the look of despair could not be hidden especially when she saw the other children recovering and leaving the hospital, knowing that it would never happen for her.


Then, at the beginning of autumn, I discovered a change in her. No longer did she spend time with the other children and often was she alone by herself. When I asked her about it, she merely smile and said she was tired. The glow that used to make her eyes shine was no longer there. The doctor said her condition was stable and it was only a phase that she was going through. I prayed earnestly that it was true. Even though I knew only too well that nurses should not get too emotionally attached to their patients, I could not help but love this girl.


Marie was sitting by the window one evening, watching the leaves falling from the trees one by one. Her eyes were filled with unshed tears. When she saw me, she clung to me tightly and cried her heart out, her sobs muffled against me. When her crying subsided, I held her up and brought her to her bed. I tucked her in and gently brushed my lips on her forehead. As I turned to leave, Marie took my hand and said in a whisper,”Thank you.” I smiled and left the room.



The next morning, I went to the hospital and realized that everyone was rather quiet and subdued. I dismissed it as a figment of my imagination and went to check on Marie before beginning my duty for the day. When I entered the room, my blood ran cold – it was empty. Just then, Matron entered and delivered the news that I knew would come sooner or later and yet dreaded to hear. Marie had died in her sleep the previous night.
The sadness that filled me was overwhelming and my vision was blurred by the tears that flowed like rain down my face. I moved towards the window where Marie had sat the night before and saw the last autumn leaves falling to the ground.



~End~


I do not know who is the writer of the story, the title neither. I’m sorry for this.


(@__________@)

No comments:

Post a Comment