★走马灯★

Saturday 6 March 2010

Reverse of N.O.D.N.I


Last Thursday, I followed my cousin, Sandra going along KESAS highway to Puchong city and then going back to Sunway city to fetch two of her six maids(Quite surprise, right?). From there, I had a talk to a maid who seem friendly and loquacious enough to talk everything. Her name was Vivi. She was quite funny and almost all the moments with her, she told me something interesting about her and her homeland, Indonesia.

While sitting in the car, with Sandra as the driver. I spared my time to start a pretty surprising talk to Vivi,because I never dare to start a conversation to a foreigner, and Vivi was the first one. Thanks to Sandra who started the conversation and thanks for the intro as well.=)

Below is the summarized information I got from Vivi.

1. "NODNI"
When she talked about Indonesia or Indonesian, the term "NODNI" was used instead of Indonesian or Indonesia. At that moment, I knew nothing about the official prohibition of using that particular word in Malaysia. This was because the Indonesia government and its populaces opposed Malaysian usage of the term that was assumed as insulting and derogatory.

2. Currency.
Sandra said "They worked in Malaysia as maids, but they can be millionairesses or even billionaires in Indonesia."

They money value is much lower than that of Malaysia. Vivi told me, some examples of goods and prices sold in Indonesia and I was taken a back when I heard about the prices.

~ One candy = around 100 rupiah
~ One bread = around 300 rupiah
~ One meal = around 2,000 rupiah
~ One cow = around 3,000,000 rupiah

Cow is considered as an assets. If you have a cow in Indonesia, you are considered as a millionaire. So, have you decide to migrate to Indonesia? Think about it.

3. CHILDBIRTH
Most of the women preferred home-birth delivery(Vivi said it was because the hospitals fees were very expensive).In Indonesia, no advance technology assists you in home, all "manually" control by the midwives. One of them will hold your head to maintain your position, putting force to so-called "stick" your head on your bed. Giving birth naturally, and needles are not needed to close the wound, your womb heal up by itself. (I was SHOCKED.)

4. SIMPLY LIKE TO WORK
They like to work, and they dislike holidays, because they have nothing to do during the holidays. And they might get sick if the holidays are too long. Headache, body pain may come to them if they rest. Once I heard that, one question flashed through my mind:"Are they destined to work till die and without work they will fall sick? " Haiz...

Vivi said they like to save $$. Sandra said they like to eat salted fish with rice and vegetables repeatedly as three meals everyday.

5. KFC bitter??
Sandra told me, she had once brought a box of spicy KFC set for Vivi. And Vivi ended up not eating it and threw it away. When asked, she said Malaysian's KFC not nice, bitter one and I was like "har?" . Sandra said her $$ wasted and she didn't know what taste buds Vivi had in her tongue. Bitter?! lol...

6. Weather
Looking at the sky, Vivi told me Malaysia's weather was weird. In Indonesia, when there is no rain, there weather will be very cold, the Indonesian even scare of taking a bath as the temperature is low. Whereas in Malaysia, when there is no rain, hahaha..the weather will be extremely hot, even after you take a bath, you sweat again in a few minutes!! Vice verse.

Weird?! These are what I got from Vivi and Sandra, my lovely sis. Thanks to them for giving me such a wonderful moment.

(^_________^)

No comments:

Post a Comment